Friday, January 10, 2014

Why Your Small Business Should Be Located In a HubZone?

A few months back a good friend tasked me with writing a blog on Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZones).  Needless to say I didn't write the article, not because there was not a need, but I just didn't know enough about it.  After researching, meeting with federal contracting officers, and plain ole (yes I said that) watching SBA's website here's the blog my friend. 

As small business owners we are constantly thinking about how we can grow (at least I am) and increase our sales. An often neglected and also valuable tool that qualified business owners disregard is not obtaining their small business certifications. Opportunities in those programs are endless especially in the 8(a) program. However, "The Benefits of Certifications" is saved for another blog. This blog is designated to one certification in particular which is the HUBZone Program. I know you are saying so get to the point....

HUBZones

As defined by the Small Business Administration is a program to encourage economic development in historically underutilized business zones through the establishment of preferences.

SBA's HUBZone Program is an effort to promote economic development and employment growth in distressed areas by providing access to more federal contracting opportunities.

Those qualified small businesses located in HUBZones have access to federal contracting assistance which will also
  • Increase employment opportunities
  • Stimulate capital investment in those areas
  • Empower communities through economic leveraging and reinvestment within the community of wages and taxes
Now in order to be qualified as a HUBZone Small Business your company must meet the following criteria:
  • Be a Small Business
  • Be 51% owned and controlled only by U.S. citizens
  • Have the “principal office” located in a HUBZone
  • Have at least 35% of the company’s employees residing in a HUBZone (doesn’t have to be the same HUBZone as the company’s principal office)
  • Be certified by the U.S. Small Business Administration
That's it! Simple right? Now go and see if your business qualifies for this program. For additional information on the HUBZone Certification Program please visit SBA's website at www.sba.gov

Ms. Brenda Brown is President/CEO of Patterson-Brown & Associates.  She can be reached at (706) 834-4207 or bbrown@pba-diversity.com.

Patterson-Brown & Associates is a woman-owned small business which provides program management, marketing & strategic communications, staff augmentation, and professional services to governmental and private entities.  Find them on the web at www.pba-diversity.com.

1 comment:

  1. Great News, I will definitely check this out. I am almost sure I am in a HUBZone. I have been procrastinating for years to get certified in Federal Programs and keep putting it off. No longer will I put off I am off to a good start this year and I will have my Certification in the next 90 days if it is the Lord's Will.
    Thanks, Dorothy
    area. I have

    ReplyDelete